Mount Rinjani (3,726 m asl) is the second highest volcano in Indonesia after Mount Kerinci (3,805 m asl) in Jambi.Administratively Mount Rinjani is located in 2 districts, namely:
North Lombok Regency in the west and northEast Lombok Regency in the south and east.
Geographically Mount Rinjani is dominated by mountains and hills that cool temperate, so it is suitable for agriculture and agro-tourism.
The History of Mt.Samalas
Perhaps only a handful of people who knows Mount Samalas.Yes Mount Samalas is an ancient name of Mount Rinjani which is written in Babad Lombok (Lombok chronicle).
According to Babad Lombok,Samalas was erupted in 1258 and destroy all the initial population of Lombok.So,the original society as we know it now as a Sasak tribe derived from Jawi Kuno(ancient jawa) that goes to Lombok at the end of the 12th century.
After the massive eruption in 1258, the name of Samalas does not heard anymore, along with the development of new population on Lombok Island after the eruption;a new legend about Dewi Anjani who reigns on Mount Salamas appears. Gradually Samalas is better known as Rinjani,the reign of Dewi Anjani.
The effects of Samalas eruption left a huge crater with Segara Anak Lake in the middle of it, while in the eastern part of the lake a new volcano appeared known as Gunung Baru Jari.
Since the massive eruption in 1258 Mt.Rinjani asleep for eight centuries until now, although sometimes Gunung barujari coughing but only small scale. Based on the record in the national park office, Rinjani erupted on a small scale in 1846,1884,1901,1906,1909,1915,1944,1994,2009,2014,dan 2016.
In 2012 Mount Rinjani crowned as the best trekking paths and challenging in Asia Pacific.
Here are three major trekking paths on Mount Rinjani:
- North Gate of Senaru (600m asl)Senaru is the most busy and crowded track because a short distance, and about 80% of a lush rainforest so it’s pretty cool, but the track is quiet uphill. Here are route through the Gate of Senaru:
- Mataram /Senggigi-Senaru 2 hours by car
- Starting Point to the Gate of Rinjani National Park less than 30 minutes by passing through the coffee, cocoa, nutmeg, cloves and vanilla plantations.
- The gates of National Park to the Post 1 about 1.5 hours
- Post 1 to the Post 2 about 2 hours,hiking trails began a steep and slippery, along the temperature began to decline.Besides being a place to rest Post 2 as well as a place for lunch because the only post which has a spring.
- Post 2 – post 3 about 2 hours,through the highlands forest
- Post 3 – post extra about 1 hour
- Post extra – rim of Senaru about 2 hours, passing through the savanna and trekking paths are dusty and muddy during the rainy season. From the rim climbers can see the view of Segara Anak Lake and Gunung Baru Jari .Camping site for the first night.
- Crater rim to the lake about 2 hours, at the lake, visitors can fishing and soak in hot water spring at the edge of Lake.
- From the Lake towards a rim of Sembalun about 2 hours, dubbed the path to hell because very steep and often takes victims.Rim of Sembalun as a Camping site for the second night.
- Rim of Sembalun to the summit of approximately 3.5 hours, dubbed the most difficult terrain and the path of hell. Supposedly if there are climbers who fell on this path there were no survivors.
- 2.East Gate of Sembalun (1.150m asl)Sembalun is an entrance to Rinjani National Park through East section.the expanse of rice fields and strawberry plantations flanked by steep hills, pamper the eyes of every visitor. Here are route through the Gate of Sembalun:
- Mataram to Sembalun approximately 3.5 hours.
- Starting point to post 1 about 2,5 hours,by passing a rice fields and strawberry plantations.
- Post 1 to post 2 about about 2,5 hours, by passing the savanna and the rather hot conditions. Post 2 as a lunch spot because there are springs.
- Post 2 to post 3 about 2 hours, passing through the steppes and savannas dominated by spruce.
- This path is fairly steep and dangerous and a scourge for climbers because it must pass through 4 hills of suffering.
- Post 3 towards a Rim of Sembalun less than 2.5 hours, by passing a steep hills and the line was known as 3 hills of regret. From Pelawangan Sembalun climbers can enjoy the beautiful view of Segara Anak Lake and Mt.Baru jari. Camping site for the first night
- Early morning around 02.00 am we are going to the summit of about 3.5 hours to see the sunrise. If the weather is good from the top Mount Rinjani we could see Sangiang Volcano in the northeastern part of the island of Sumbawa with a distance of nearly 250 miles of Lombok.
- Torean Gate (600m asl)The track is not very attractive to visitors and very steep. This track is used by the local people especially Hindus in Pakelem ritual in Segara Anak Lake,in order to reach this area from Mataram approximately 3 hours then uses Ojek a motorcycle taxi to the last village namely Torean.
- South Gate of Timbanuh (900m asl)Timbanuh is a hiking trail on the South side of Mount Rinjani,and it takes about 3 hours to reach this area from Mataram. This path is the new path opened by Gunung Rinjani National Park Authority,due to this track is new so it does not have adequate facilities and infrastructure, but this track advantages with the availability of water along the hiking trail as well as the diversity of flora and fauna.This path only allows climbers to climb up Cemoro Rompes and South Peak of Mount Rinjani, while the path to the lake is not allowed because it is very dangerous. The climb through the line was about 9 hours.Thank you
By Gerry M